My Transverse Myelitis Story / Mi Historia con Mielitis Transversa

By Lorena (“Zoey”) Fuentes

“It’s not how many times you get knocked down that counts, it’s how many times you get back up.” —George A. Custer.

Hi, my name is Lorena Fuentes, but my friends call me Zoey. It all started with a stomachache on October 27, 2018 after dinner. The stomachache symptoms progressively got worse with each passing day. On the morning of Thursday, November 1st, I woke up to mild tingling and numbness on my stomach, legs and feet. By 11:00 am and while at work, the numb feeling was burning, and I felt nothing from the waist down. I googled my symptoms and made an appointment to see a doctor. Barely able to walk, I saw a doctor at 5:00 pm. By this time my legs were on fire, sensitive to the touch and very painful. Unable to be examined at the doctor’s office, I took an Uber to Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Hospital Emergency Room (ER). While waiting to be seen, I suddenly developed uncontrollable muscle spasms every fifteen minutes. That night, I had two MRIs with and without contrast, an X-ray and a CT scan of my spine to help determine the diagnosis. By the next morning, on November 2nd at 2:00 am, I was paralyzed from the waist down. Nothing prepared me for what was coming, but I walked by faith not by sight that this was temporary. I was given high doses of steroids to control the inflammation that took residence in my spine and high doses of pain medications to control the unbearable burning and pain I was feeling. I was admitted that morning and met with a team of doctors who were unsure of a diagnosis and scheduled me for a lumbar spinal tap procedure on November 4th. On November 8th, results came back for transverse myelitis and the beginning of my journey.

Two weeks after my admission to the hospital, I was transferred to Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Center to start my intensive physical therapy and to learn how to walk and function again. During my stay in the Rehab Center, I struggled with my everyday needs being handled by someone other than myself. I thought I was getting better and walking with the help of physical therapy, but this illness had a mind of its own and thus began my first flare-up on November 29th, three days before I was scheduled to be discharged. On that day, my right leg suddenly went limp making it hard to walk, and by the next day, my right leg gave out and I was paralyzed again. I then had to dry my tears and go back in that ring and fight harder. Everyone on the unit tried to keep me positive, despite their own sadness at seeing me so heartbroken and so determined not to sit on that wheelchair again. On December 2nd, another MRI and another lumbar spinal tap procedure was performed to determine the cause of the flare-up. After that it all went down-hill, emotionally and physically. I was given choices I was not emotionally ready to make on my own, and since my husband had stopped responding to calls from the doctors and me after Thanksgiving, I cried and prayed. I signed for plasma exchange treatments to be administered at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU), as my blood pressure was dangerously high. However, they didn’t mention these central venous catheters were administered through the internal jugular vein, after a failed attempt at inserting through the inner thigh.

My nightmare didn’t end there. In fact, it continued with an unexpected and unsympathetic text message from my husband. After fifteen years together and seven years of marriage, my husband texted me that he needed to “make himself happy” and checked out of the marriage immediately after. He never spoke a word to me after that and “ghosted” me during and after my hospital stay. Not only was I now terrified of what was coming, but I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to survive my broken heart and have enough strength to fight my illness. I felt defeated, broken mentally and physically, and emotionally drained.  I’m not sure how I survived all that, but I kept my faith and put on my armor of strength, dried my tears and got back in that ring to fight again.

After my plasma exchange treatments and more steroids, I started moving my feet. Two weeks later, I was transferred to the Mount Sinai Spine Institute to begin my recovery again. After almost two weeks of intensive physical therapy (PT), I was slowly walking with a walker and the assistance of the Rehab team. On December 29th, I was discharged with the use of a walker and scheduled home PT sessions. However, several hours after being discharged from the hospital, my left leg went limp at 9:00 pm making it hard now to stand. The very next day, my right leg was losing strength, making it hard to stand, walk or do anything without assistance. I now had to rely on my sons, who were limited on what they could and could not do. I called my doctor and was given an appointment for the next day. On December 31st, while trying to position myself the best way I knew how, I fell from the bed. I screamed as the pain was unbearable, and mentally I was destroyed because I now couldn’t move at all. Because of this, the cops were called to assist in getting me into my son’s car. I arrived at the Mount Sinai Hospital ER and called my doctor who ordered another round of steroids and pain killers. Back to the drawing board we went, and another MRI, CT scan and X-ray were ordered to determine the cause of these flare-ups.

Prior to the ball dropping that night, the doctors gave me and my sons the bad news that the fall had caused a fracture in my spine, they found another lesion in my neck, and the inflammation unfortunately spread from T5-T12. Terrified of the news, my sons and I prayed together, and we welcomed 2019 with sadness, fear and anger. We faced all three emotions with each other and the courage to stay positive despite all that I was facing. I was readmitted on January 1, 2019 and prepared myself for another round of steroids and the grueling pain of having the intravenous catheter inserted into my neck into my jugular vein for another round of plasma exchange treatments and one dose of chemo shortly after. After thirteen days, I was transferred to the Spine Institute on the first floor of Mount Sinai and started my grueling PT treatments and my second dose of chemo. I was fortunate enough to have the support of my sons and a few family members who never left my side throughout this journey. Not only my family, but all the doctors and nurses at Mount Sinai who worked diligently to find a diagnosis and treat me with the care and compassion the hospital is known for.

On February 1, 2019 at 3:00pm I was finally discharged and walked out of there with a walker and a newfound strength and never went back. It has been almost a year and I have 80% of my sensation back and about the same in mobility. According to my doctors, with continued physical therapy, eating right and no stress, I should have all my sensations back. This has been a journey for me emotionally and physically, but I held my head high despite how broken I felt. Faith is trusting the process with your heart not your mouth. My faith carried me through my troubled times. I had faith then and now that all things are possible when you clear your mind of the clutter and focus on finding that strength you didn’t know you had and using it to fight those battles that come along unexpectedly. I will always remember November 1st as the day I was reborn, and even though I still have a footprint of my illness, it is that reminder that keeps me grounded and appreciative of everything life has to offer. I feel my story can help others stay positive and know that there is light at the end of darkness no matter your circumstances.

“No es cuantas veces te derriban lo que cuenta, sino cuantas veces te vuelves a levantar. ” —George A. Custer.

Hola, me llamo Lorena Fuentes, pero mis amistades me llaman Zoey. Todo comenzó́ con un dolor de estómago el 27 de octubre después de la cena. Los síntomas de dolor de estómago empeoraron progresivamente con cada día que pasó. En la mañana del jueves primero de noviembre del 2018, me desperté́ con un hormigueo leve y adormecimiento en el estómago, las piernas y los pies. A las 11:00 de la mañana y mientras estaba en el trabajo, la sensación de entumecimiento ardía y no sentí́ nada de la cintura para abajo. Busqué en Google mis síntomas e hice una cita para ver a un médico. Apenas podía caminar, vi a un médico a las 5:00 de la tarde ese mismo día. A esa hora, mis piernas estaban ardiendo, sensibles al tocar y muy dolorosas. Incapaz de ser examinada en el consultorio del médico, tomé un Uber a la sala de emergencias del Hospital Mount Sinai St. Luke. Mientras esperaba ser vista, de repente desarrollé un espasmo muscular incontrolable cada 15 minutos. Esa noche, tuve dos resonancias magnéticas con y sin contraste, una radiografía y una tomografía computarizada de mi columna vertebral para hacer un diagnóstico. A la mañana siguiente, el 2 de noviembre a las 2 de la mañana, estaba paralizada de la cintura para abajo. Nada me preparó para lo que venía, pero caminé por fe y no por la vista de que esto era temporal. Me dieron altas dosis de esteroides para controlar la inflamación que residía en mi columna vertebral, y altas dosis de analgésicos para controlar el insoportable ardor y el dolor que sentía. Me admitieron esa mañana y me reuní́ con un equipo de médicos que no estaban seguros de un diagnóstico y me programaron un procedimiento de punción lumbar el 4 de noviembre. El día 8 de noviembre, los resultados me diagnosticaron mielitis transversa y allí empezó mi lucha. Dos semanas después de mi ingreso al hospital, me transfirieron al centro de rehabilitación de Mount Sinai St. Luke para comenzar mi fisioterapia intensiva para aprender a caminar y funcionar nuevamente. Durante mi estancia en el Centro de Rehabilitación, luché mentalmente porque mis necesidades diarias fueran manejadas por alguien más que yo. Pensé́ que estaba mejorando y caminando con la ayuda de la fisioterapia, pero esta enfermedad tenía una mente propia y, por lo tanto, comenzó́ mi primer brote el 29 de noviembre, tres días antes de que me dieran de alta. En ese día, mi pierna derecha de repente se debilitó, y se me hizo difícil caminar, y al día siguiente, mi pierna derecha cedió́ y ahora estaba paralizada otra vez. Ahora tenía que secarme las lágrimas y volver a luchar otra vez. Todos en la unidad trataron de mantenerme positiva, a pesar de su propia tristeza al verme tan desconsolada y decidida a no volver a sentarme en esa silla de ruedas.

El 2 de diciembre se realizó otra resonancia magnética y otro procedimiento de punción lumbar para determinar la causa del brote. Después de eso, todo fue cuesta abajo, emocional y físicamente. Me dieron opciones que no estaba emocionalmente preparada para tomar por mi cuenta y como mi esposo había dejado de responder a las llamadas de los médicos y de mí, dependí en oración para fortaleza. Firmé para que los tratamientos de Plasma Fusión se administraran en la Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos de Mount Sinai St. Luke, ya que mi presión arterial era peligrosamente alta. Sin embargo, no mencionaron que estos catéteres venosos centrales se administraron a través de la vena yugular interna, después de un intento fallado de inserción a través del muslo interno.

Mi pesadilla no terminó ahí́. De hecho, continuó con un mensaje de texto inesperado y poco comprensivo de mi esposo. Después de 15 anos juntos y 7 años de matrimonio, mi esposo me envió́ un mensaje de texto que necesitaba “hacerse feliz y que ya no me quería”. Nunca me dijo una palabra después de eso y me trato como si yo fuera un fantasma durante y después de mi estancia en el hospital. Ahora no solo estaba aterrorizada de lo que venía, sino que temía no poder sobrevivir a un corazón roto y tener la fuerza suficiente para combatir mi enfermedad. Me sentí́ derrotada, rota mentalmente, física- y emocionalmente agotada. No estoy segura de cómo sobreviví todo eso, pero mantuve mi fe y me puse mi armadura de fuerza, me sequé las lágrimas y volví́ a luché por ganar. Después de mis tratamientos de plasma y más esteroides, comencé́ a mover los pies. Dos semanas después, me transfirieron al Instituto de la columna vertebral del Hospital Mount Sinai para seguir con mi recuperación. Después de casi dos semanas de terapia física intensiva, caminaba lentamente con un andador y la ayuda del equipo de rehabilitación. El 29 de diciembre, me dieron de alta con el uso de un andador y preparaciones para terapia física programadas en casa. Sin embargo, varias horas después de ser dada de alta del hospital, mi pierna izquierda estaba flácida a las 9:00 de la noche. Al día siguiente, mi pierna derecha estaba perdiendo fuerza, y se me hacía difícil estar de pie, caminar o hacer cualquier cosa sin ayuda. Ahora tenía que confiar en mis hijos, que estaban limitados en lo que podían y no podían hacer. Llamé a mi médico y me dieron una cita para el día siguiente. El 31 de Diciembre, mientras intentaba posicionarme de la mejor manera que sabía, me caí́ de la cama. Grité porque el dolor era insoportable y mentalmente fui destruida porque ahora no podía moverme. Debido a esto, los policías fueron llamados para ayudarme a subirme al auto de mi hijo. Llegué a la sala de emergencias del Hospital Mount Sinai y llamé a mi médico que me ordenó otra ronda de esteroides y analgésicos. Volvimos a la mesa de dibujo y fuimos con otra resonancia magnética, tomografía computarizada y rayos X para determinar la causa de estos brotes.

Antes de que la pelota cayera esa noche, los médicos nos dieron a mí y a mis hijos la mala noticia de que la caída había causado una fractura en mi columna vertebral, que encontraron otra lesión en mi cuello y que la inflamación desafortunadamente se propagó de T5- T12. Aterrados por la noticia, mis hijos y yo oramos juntos y dimos la bienvenida al 2019 con tristeza, miedo y enojo. Enfrentamos las tres emociones entre nosotros y mantuvimos una actitud positiva a pesar de todo lo que estaba enfrentando. Fui readmitida nuevamente el 1 de enero de 2019 y me preparé para otra ronda de esteroides y el dolor agotador de tener el catéter intravenoso insertado en mi cuello en la vena yugular para otra ronda de tratamientos de Fusion de Plasma y una dosis de quimioterapia poco después. Después de 13 días, me transfirieron al Instituto de la columna vertebral en el primer piso del Hospital Monte Sinai y comencé́ mis agotadores tratamientos de fisioterapia y mi segunda dosis de quimioterapia. Tuve la suerte de contar con el apoyo de mis hijos y algunos familiares que nunca se apartaron de mi lado durante este viaje. No solo mi familia, sino todos los médicos y enfermeras del Hospital Mount Sinai que trabajaron diligentemente para encontrar un diagnóstico y tratarme con el cuidado y la compasión por los que es conocido.

El 1 de Febrero de 2019 a las 3:00 p.m. finalmente me dieron de alta y salí́ de allí́ con un andador y una nueva fuerza encontrada y nunca volví́ para el hospital. Ha pasado casi un año y tengo el 80% de mi sensación de vuelta y casi lo mismo en movilidad. Según mis médicos, con fisioterapia, comer bien y sin estrés ninguno, debería recuperar todas mis sensaciones. Este ha sido una lucha emocional y física para mí, pero mantuve la cabeza en alto a pesar de lo dolida por dentro que me sentía. La fe es confiar en el proceso con tu corazón, no con tu boca. Mi fe me llevó a través de mis tiempos difíciles. Tenía fe entonces y ahora que todas las cosas son posibles cuando despejas tu mente del desorden y te enfocas en encontrar esa fuerza que no sabías que tenías y usarla para pelear esas batallas que surgen inesperadamente.

Siempre recordaré el primero de noviembre como el día en que volví́ a nacer y, aunque todavía tengo una huella de mi enfermedad, es ese recordatorio lo que me mantiene firme y agradecida por todo lo que la vida tiene para ofrecerme. Siento que mi historia puede ayudar a otros a mantenerse positivas y saber que hay luz al final de la oscuridad, sin importar sus circunstancias.